Ask us a question about records in the collection
We will undertake basic reference work free of charge and aim to respond to your inquiry within 30 business days. Under the Archives Act 1983 records become available once they enter the open access period. Our service charter outlines the standards of service you can expect from us.
Please select one of the following to make an inquiry or request:
- immigration records
- passenger arrival records
- passenger departure records
- internment and/or alien registration records
- intelligence and/or surveillance records
- civilian service records from World War II
- Merchant Navy records
- Defence service after World War II
- general inquiry
- order records ahead of your visit to a reading room – advance request to view records
- Defence force personnel records – search and order through RecordSearch
- order an online copy of a record through RecordSearch. Copying charges apply
- check the progress of a copying order
- copyright permission for collection items
To comment on the Archives’ reference service, please complete our Reference service survey.
If you have already made a reference inquiry, you can check on its progress.