Check-up PLUS 2018
Designed to collect data on Australian Government agencies' information management capabilities and behaviours, Check-up PLUS will allow agencies to:
- track their progress against a variety of best practice information management behaviours
- develop plans and undertake projects that progress their information and data management maturity
- advise Archives of their RNA holdings and transfer plans, and
- manage their contact details online.
The Archives will analyse the survey data to gauge digital information management performance and behaviour of Australian Government agencies. The findings will inform the annual report to the Minister as required under the Digital Continuity 2020 Policy, and the Archives will make this report available to agencies.
Data gathered on the volume of information and the cost of its management to whole of Australian Government, will provide a holistic understanding of the dynamics of modern information management.
The Need for Change
The Check-up Digital tool was developed before the Digital Continuity 2020 Policy, and while it has a strong focus on digital information management, it does not address the key requirements of the Policy. This has made assessment of agency progress against the Policy difficult to establish and report on.
This project is being undertaken in order to:
- enable agencies to review their information management capability and progress;
- to raise the profile of information management within the agency and to help agencies improve their information management performance;
- enable the Archives to gather meaningful and trustworthy data on the state of information management practices in the Australian Government and how agencies are performing; and to
- combine the two agency surveys to reduce red tape for agencies, and to achieve efficiencies for both the Archives and agencies.
From July 2018 the Check-up PLUS survey replaced the Check-up Digital survey and the triennial Survey of Information and Records Management Practices.
Agencies will complete the full survey every second year commencing from 2018, with a subset of core questions to be answered in alternate years. Each year we will use the same tool, which will automatically update to provide the right version to agencies for submission.
2018 Check-up PLUS survey
Check-up PLUS is structured to align with the National Archives' Information Management Standard, and is an online self-assessment tool designed to gauge Australian Government agencies' maturity and performance in information and data management.
The 2018 Whole-of-Government report is available here.
Digital Continuity 2020 Statement
In 2017 annual reporting requirements under the Digital Continuity 2020 Policy consisted of a short online survey, the 'Digital Continuity 2020 Statement'. The survey comprised a number of brief statements designed to gauge agencies' progress against the Digital Continuity 2020 principles, and replaced the requirement for agencies to report against Check-up Digital.
The whole-of-government snapshot is available here.
If you have questions about the new survey or accessing your existing Check-up Digital data, contact the Agency Service Centre.