Chief information governance officer
The chief information governance officer (CIGO) is a senior role to establish the culture for a more accountable and business-focused information management environment.
Leading information governance across an agency, the CIGO role is critical for digital innovation and capability, and for championing the importance of effective information management.
The figure below highlights the responsibilities for the chief information governance officer role.
A dedicated senior executive accountable for enterprise wide information governance as outlined under CIGO responsibilities is best practice for all Australian Government agencies .
Implementation of the CIGO role will be influenced by your Government agency’s size, resourcing and functions.
In a larger agency, this may call for a new role or minimal job redesign of an existing senior executive data or information focused role such as a chief data officer (CDO).
In a medium agency job redesign can elevate the information and data profile of existing chief information officer (CIO) or chief technology officer (CTO) roles.
In a small or micro agency consider how CIGO responsibilities can be included into the most senior information role available.
The Archives strongly recommends that the person given responsibility for information governance engages with the Government Agencies Information Network (GAIN); and joins a community of practice such as a professional association or Commonwealth agency portfolio group.
- Leverage information and data
- Information governance framework
- Information governance committee chair
- Executive advice and reporting
- Workforce planning
- Information risk management
- Information and data standards
- Best practice tools and technologies
- Business intelligence
- ICT investments, solutions and infrastructure planning
- information security
- Information as an asset
- Digital innovation
- Best practice information management
- Digital capabilities
- Digital upskilling and information awareness
- Champion information management leadership
- Information access and re-use
- Enterprise architect, information architect and user interface
- Stakeholder management
- Whole of Government information governance initiatives